That is exactly what happened in the Texas SenateAfter visiting the offices of every Texas Senator, providing them with factual information as to the risks to our God-given constitutional liberty, all of the Senators with the exception of three Republicans and four Democrats, chose to ignore the warning from the late Supreme Court Chief Justice Warren Burger, who said, “There is no effective way to limit or muzzle the actions of a Constitutional Convention. After a Convention is convened, it will be too late to stop the Convention if we don’t like the agenda.”
None of the Senators appeared to really want a ConCon but just want to ‘scare’ Congress into passing a Balanced Budget Amendment. Asking for a ConCon for any reason might surely force Congress to call one whether or not you want it!
The risk of a runaway convention is too great to risk a re-write of the original.
Would there be a limited number of years for ratification of the amendments or would they remain open indefinitely? Unknown.
Who the Delegates would be and how they would be selected. Unknown.
The liberal media would attack all conservative amendments. Fighting bad amendments, once passed, would be a costly and possibly losing the battle and taking away from the election of constitutional conservatives.
A possible re-write of the Constitution could include:
- Loss of our Second Amendment right to Keep and Bear Arms (the gun grabbers would love this);
- Abolishing the Electoral College in favor of Popular Vote presidential elections.(the liberals would love this—Al Gore would have been our president under a popular vote);
- Abolishing the Tenth Amendment making the Federal government supreme;
- Incorporating International Law as acceptable in Supreme Court decisions (this is already being done unconstitutionally)
- Reduction in the number of states required to ratify future amendments.
The RPT Platform opposes a ConCon and demands that the legislature rescind the ConCon already passed in the 70’s.
In today’s volatile political climate, an Article V ConCon would be chaotic with demonstrators outside the convention from every political spectrum—Right, Left, Socialist and in-between—demanding the Amendments their special interests want. The end result could be a shredding of the original along with the loss of our God-given right to Life, Liberty and Property.
You were elected and sworn to uphold and defend the constitutions of the United States and the State of Texas. Please don’t gamble and ask for a ConCon which Texas cannot control.
The Texas House has an opportunity to Kill the Senate action. Just VOTE NO on ConCon!
Further info: ConCon