Eagle Forum Legislative Alerts

Monday, July 15, 2013

Common Core Is Unconstitutional

Have you heard of Common Core Standards, the new plan being adopted in the public schools across America? It is a plan to for a national standard to be imposed which will decide what American kids will learn and what they will not learn. Parents are really upset about this plan. Nationalized education standards are unconstitutional under the Tenth amendment, which limits federal influence over the states. The General Educational Provisions Act, a federal law, prohibits any department, agency, officer, or employee of the United States [from exercising] any direction, supervision, or control over the curriculum, program of instruction, administration, or personnel of any educational institution, school, or school system, or over the selection of library resources, textbooks, or other printed or published instructional materials by any educational institution or school system...." That sounds pretty strong, and it is a law specifically enacted to severely limit federal control of education.

These new Common Core standards severely limit local control of education. They are copyrighted and owned by private organizations. Federal dictates assure that 85% of academic standards in reading and math will strictly adhere to common Core standards, leaving only 15% of the standards eligible to be altered by a local district. For example, Common Core does not teach cursive writing, and if a local school wanted to teach cursive writing anyway, instead of just the keyboarding mandated by Common Core, it would likely use up the entire allowed 15%. We're always being told to get advice from other countries, so how about taking some advice from our neighbor, Canada. Canada has no national standards (all standards are adopted locally) and does not even have any national Department of Education.

Listen to the radio commentary here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep comments short. Long comments will be deleted.